28 October 2014

DIY Seed Wreath for Wintering Birds

If you're a gardener, you're probably familiar with the Black-Eyed Susan. A favorite in my garden, she's a beautiful late summer/early fall bloomer who lights up the garden with her bright yellow flowers.

via

The seeds of the Black-Eyed Susan are as coveted as the blossoms. A favorite among birds, they're a much needed food supply during the cold months.

But depending on where your Susan's are planted (mine are growing along the beds at my front entrance), they can be a bit unsightly when left on the stem to overwinter. So, this year I found a solution that I'm hoping will satisfy both parties - me and the birds - by creating seed wreaths.

Not wanting to waste the benefit of the seed, I'm hoping that by making wreaths and placing them strategically around the yard this will allow me to clean up those unsightly flowers beds while still providing a native food to the birds. I think that's a win-win.




Using a recycled willow wreath, I simply gathered small clusters of the dried seed heads and tucked them snugly into the wreath...

I know you're waiting for more instruction, but that's all there was to it.


So, so easy.


Admittedly, they aren't the prettiest of wreaths if you aren't a hungry bird, so you may want to dress your up with fresh fall berries and a sprig or two of evergreen to liven it up a bit. But I think the birds will find them beautiful just as they are. And if I'm successful, a bird or two sitting on this wreath is all the beauty I need.

Do you feed the migrating hummingbirds through the winter? You may not be aware, but if your live in the south, we have these lovely creatures all winter long. Visit my post on caring for hummingbirds through the winter to help keep these beauties nourished during the cold months.

Share/Bookmark

4 comments :

  1. Brilliant idea!
    I'm doing the final garden clean-up tomorrow so thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sensible Gardening and LivingOctober 30, 2014 at 11:42 AM

    This is a wonderful idea and I have loads of rudbeckia seed heads to use. P.S. I think they are nice to look at:) ~ Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful Sarah. i always find those seeds and yard clean interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Lynne! I hate to toss them into the compost knowing how much the birds enjoy them - especially during those lean months of winter.

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover