09 July 2014

DIY Gold Gild Plant Coasters


Houseplants are notorious for ruining many a fine antique. So to keep the water stains at bay, I always place coasters underneath my welcomed friends. And cork coasters are my favorite for their ability to soak up the drips. However, their boring brown facade does nothing in the decor department, so I added a little gold glam to mine.

gold gild coasters #gardening




They remind me of gold veins running through marble.

You can purchase a four-pack of these coasters in the garden section of the big box store. Unlike cup coasters, these have more texture to the compressed cork which helps to give a nice pattern of veining.

To recreate this effect, you'll need an oil-based paint pen in gold and a set of cork plant coasters. Simply gild select pieces of cork and connect them together by following the outline of smaller pieces to create a unified look of mimicked gold veining.

mimicked gold vein coasters #houseplants

These are so easy to create and take only a few minutes each.

gold decorated plant coaster

But it really adds a nice detail to boring utilitarian objects such as these.

gold veining plant coasters

Be sure to trace the gilding down the side of your coaster for a more natural look.

cork plant coaster

A nice housewarming gift for the plant lovers in your life.

If you love metallics as much as I, visit the Wayfair Homecoming Party at Brooklyn Berry Designs for other inspiring decor ideas featuring metallics.


Share/Bookmark

10 comments :

  1. Just lovely and, timely too! I need to get some coasters for the plants I am re-potting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty Sarah - what a great way to keep those white rings off the table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dianne @winnowandspruceJuly 9, 2014 at 1:13 PM

    You had me at GOLD... stopping by from BOB(B)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’ll definitely try this – I have the perfect little pots I painted to set on these little coasters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. kimmatreinventedJuly 14, 2014 at 7:07 PM

    Very cool! I love the idea and the combo of cork and gold is amazing! So great to meet you at Haven, hope to see you again next year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And to you as well, Karianne. Thanks so much for stopping by to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kimm, the pleasure was mine! We'll stay connected through our blogs until next year!

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover