30 June 2014

Decoden Decorated Digital Clock



This post is sponsored by Plaid Crafts + Blueprint Social. All opinions are my own.

From the viewpoint of most five year old girls, nothing can top the amazing design impact of pink puffy goodness and copious amounts of bling. So when I began a project for a little one in our family who will soon start kindergarten, I was elated to find Mod Podge Collage Clay and the line of accessories that work with it at my Michaels Store. It was a perfect match to the decoden craft I was envisioning for this five year old.


By embellishing an old digital clock, I thought it would be a great way of encouraging this new student as she adjusted to her routine. But in order to entice this little one out of bed, it had to be the most beautiful clock she'd ever laid eyes upon. That said, the color pink, white puffs resembling sweet candy goodness, and an incredible amount of bling were an absolute must.

decoden digital clock


Decoden is a craze begun in Japan whose very foundation is based on a kawaii style of decorating that encourages over-the-top design and as much pink, puffy, sparkly, + sweet as you can possibly get to stick onto a single object. With decoden, the more embellishment, the better. It was just the ticket to my vision of sweet, sweet goodness.


Mod Podge Mixed Media Line of Crafts

Mod Podge Collage Clay is a whipped clay that's part of their line of mixed media crafts. This line also includes Mod Molds, and Mod Melts, along with a drizzle paint and podgeable glitter. When used in conjunction with one another, they offer limitless potential in the world of decoden. Let me show you how it's done:

For my clock project, I began by adding adhesive pink rhinestones which I found in the jewelry section of my craft store.

rhinestone embellished clock

From there I created a variety of embellishments using the Mod Melts in conjunction with the Mod Molds.

Mod Podge Mod Molds and Mod Melts

By simply using a hot glue gun, the colored melt sticks are injected into Mod Molds and left to set for 5-10 minutes. Once set, the embellishments are ready to be removed and applied.

Mod Podge Mod Melt trinkets

As the embellishments set, I began applying collage clay onto the surface of the clock using the star-shaped tip provided.

Using Mod Podge Collage Clay

Collage Clay is a whipped clay resembling icing. It's light + airy and adheres to any surface. This makes a great base for the copious amounts of trinkets + bling you'll be expected to incorporate into your decoden project.

Once I added the clay, I then added my array of trinkets, silver craft rhinestones, and decorative candy themed buttons.

decoden digital clock

Such sweet goodness!

decoden decorated digital clock

I kept adding bits + pieces until I was pleased with the overall look. And for the finishing touch, I topped it all off with a little drizzle glaze for an eye-popping explosion of candy coated goodness. With decoden, too much is never enough, so feel free to embellish your surfaces with wild abandon.

decoden clock

What five year old isn't going to love this? Seriously.

candy decorated digital clock

So much fun. I know this little one is going to jump out of bed just for the chance to touch the dreamy goodness that is decoden. I think there is going to be one happy girly girl on her first day of kindergarten!

If you'd like to see all the fun things you can do with this Mod Podge line of products, check out the Plaid Palette blog or sign up for their Newsletter. You can also keep up with all the latest craft trends by following Mod Podge on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, G+, or on You Tube. And if you want to try your hand at decoden, be sure to enter the Plaid's "Decoden Giveaway" for all you'll need to get started.

And if you just can't get enough of this girly goodness, you can check out these other decoden projects created by the lovely cast of Mod Podge creatives here:

mod-podge-collage-clay-projects.jpg


(Please work responsibly with this product. Collage Clay and Mod Melts are not recommended for children ages 12 and under, as the small parts are a choking hazard. And as tempting as it might be, the product is obviously not edible.)


Share/Bookmark

20 comments :

  1. Steph @ Crafting in the RainJune 30, 2014 at 10:47 AM

    My girls would go nuts over this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is just the cutest bleeping thing ever! I know I am supposed to act like a grown up but I want one of those!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so darn cute ~ I love it ~ especially the cupcakes and frosting. ;) and the pink...I love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like so much fun, Sarah. I know my 8 year old granddaughter would have a blast playing with this. But, then again - so would I.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep. A girl never gets too old for things such as this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, MaryBeth! It's so you! But then again, how can one not love its sweet goodness?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah. It kind of had that effect on me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trust me, they will. I've noticed that this craft emotes the same "sugar high" as the real thing would, just no calories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! Very cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it. Any little girl would love a clock like that in her room!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun pink confection! i know some older than 5-year-old gals who would love to get a wakeup call from that blinged-out beauty. And I'd never heard of this technique before, so thanks for teaching me something new.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so welcome, Amy! Decoden is so "over-the-top," it's hard not to love playing with it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Coolest clock ever!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This clock is totally adorable!! What a great piece for a little girl's room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such cute ideas. I want to try them all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need to find me some Decoden!! So cute Sarah!

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover