11 June 2014

Antique Garden Table for the Deck


You know how it is when you see a space in a photograph and suddenly realize how wrong the placement is? It glares like a beacon - laughing, mocking, and generally driving you batty. That's what this image did. I noticed the issue after I photographed the new deck space, and it was glaringly obvious.

outdoor living space

The wall between the sitting area and the kitchen garden was a problem. The bar cart is too small to fill the wall, and there needs to be more of a division between the two spaces. So I did a major minor diy project and added this:


outdoor garden table

I added this antique garden table to fill the space. It was a piece I relocated from our side yard.

outdoor entertaining

That, along with a few small planters, now makes a nice outdoor bar station that fills in the space nicely.

outdoor bar station

A perfect fit for the space and a perfect fit for days spent outdoors, which we do a lot of.

But after sitting out in the elements for several years, a refresh was in order before I could rightly add it to the newly updated deck. As much as I love a rusty piece, it just wouldn't have been a good fit in its new location. Here you can see the general rust, looking innocently easy.

restoring an antique garden table

I do my fair share of furniture diy's and especially like to work with outdoor furniture. So instead of handing this one off to the pros (which I am totally for when the project is large enough or valuable enough), I tackled this one on my own.

sanding outdoor furniture

But it was so much more... That rust went deeper than I realized, and under each layer of paint was another layer of rust. Apparently someone thought it a better idea to paint over each new layer of rust instead of removing it. Who does that?

painting outdoor furniture

What I expected to be a half-day event turned into a two-day marathon. OMG... My hand was vibrating to the bone by the time I was finished with the palm sander. But isn't that always the way these projects go? That said, it's done, it's finished, and it's fabulous in its new space!

modern vintage outdoor design

Just in time for the big Father's Day bash we've got planned this weekend!

Share/Bookmark

9 comments :

  1. Our Pinteresting FamilyJune 11, 2014 at 7:43 AM

    It looks great on your deck. I love all the colors you have incorporated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evelyn @ My Turn for usJune 11, 2014 at 8:01 AM

    I am loving this classic little table:))


    Pinning!


    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I jiust love this! Just pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that's gorgeous!! Love love love .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funky Junk InteriorsJune 11, 2014 at 11:09 AM

    You have such a lovely outdoor sitting area! Swooning... that little table would find a home at my place mighty quick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes those "more difficult than I thought" projects turn out to be our favorite ones... I love this so cute and your outdoor space is so inviting....

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks great, Sarah! It seems like every DIY project I start morphs into something way more time-consuming that I expected!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love the deck. You can tell that hard work really pays off, it's gorgeous. I think the table is a lovely addition, I just love what you did. It's definitely looks like summers outside will be fun and a must.

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover