16 May 2014

Good Eats - Butter-Braised Radishes


If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that my first little harvest is in. Radishes!

ripe radish

 But, goodness, they are peppery!

I wasn't able to eat them on their own, so I searched out a recipe that might temper the spice. And I found a promising one from Chef Diane Morgan of Fine Cooking.

butter braised radish

It was amazing.

This dish gives radishes a whole new dimension of flavor I never knew existed - the spice is toned down by a hint of sweet and salty, then it's all tempered with a splash of vinegar. People, you simply must give this one a try. It is seriously delicious, and by that I mean lick-the-plate delicious.

ingredients for butter braised radishes

Have you ever eaten a cooked a radish? I've only eaten them raw in various salads. I didn't know what I was missing.

I won't copy the recipe here since I did absolutely nothing to alter it. But I encourage to try this one with your upcoming/incoming harvest of fresh radishes. My only suggestion is to reduce the cooking time by almost half if you're using fresh radishes from your garden.

radishes cooking in reduction sauce

cooked radishes

I enjoyed mine for lunch topped on a slice of toasted country bread to soak up the reduction. It was divine. But the richness of the glaze makes it pretty much a winner no matter what you served it with (or on).

If your looking to impress guests with a new dish that hasn't been done to death, impress them with this one. As one commenter suggested, just don't tell them what it is until they've actually tried it first. The preconceived notion of what a radish tastes like might turn them away from trying this amazing dish.

Rustic and very refined, this recipe is definitely my newest fave.

Share/Bookmark

10 comments :

  1. Dawn @ Words Of DeliciousnessMay 16, 2014 at 7:52 AM

    I have never eaten radishes that have been cooked, very interesting. I remember as a kid we would eat radish sandwiches and we loved them. I must give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be surprised at the difference in flavor - so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glued To My CraftsMay 16, 2014 at 9:56 AM

    YUM! I've never been a fan of radishes, but I might have to give this a try. Never thought to cook them

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a whole new flavor. And the reduction used in this recipe makes it amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never knew you could cook a radish... this is a whole new aspect... My hubby loves them raw may just have to try this dish...it definitely sounds yummy....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me, either, Cathy! But they have such a wonderful flavor when cooked. I hope your hubby loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did this once and I thought it was great. Thanks, Lida

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't eaten radishes for years... need to do this soon... Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bijou SugarsocksMay 17, 2014 at 11:19 AM

    i love radishes but i usually dont know what else to do with them except in salads :) glad i found ur recipe! looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bijou, it's been too long! Me, too, with the radishes - a salad food, nothing more. But cooking them truly puts them into another category! So good.

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover