21 April 2014

Spring Cleaning - How to Declutter a Bookshelf

It's time for a little spring cleaning around here, and this earlier post is worthy of a review for those also feeling the oppressive weight of clutter around them. Even if it's just a small space in your home, like my secretary, designating one area and tackling the mess will do wonders for your mental state of mind.

Right now I have lots of little tchotchkes sitting inside this secretary.  Over the past few years I've amassed an amount of stuff, and it all somehow landed here.

staging a secretary via homeologymodernvintage.com



It's cluttered and has little cohesion.

staging a secretary via homeologymodernvintage.com

And is busy even from this distance. (Fritz is photobombing.)

staging a secretary via homeologymodernvintage.com

When I take on a task like this I start with removing all the contents, giving the piece a good cleaning, then bringing back only the most important items. As I work, I try to create an asymmetrical balance to keep things from looking too matched. The two Blue Willow plates on the top row are balanced by the blue Imari plate on the third row. And the two white pieces help carry your up eyes up the shelves. Lastly, I added books. The remaining items were too small to be appreciated and were either moved, donated, or sent to auction.

staging a secretary via homeologymodernvintage.com

Now clean and uncluttered, the pieces I chose to keep have good contrast against the dark wood and are large enough to be seen. And although they are not completely symmetrical, they are nicely balanced.

staging a secretary via homeologymodernvintage.com

It feels lighter already.

Share/Bookmark

1 comment :

  1. I need to spend about 3 months doing this kind of decluttering in pretty much every part of my house! It's a little overwhelming but i feel inspired by your post.

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover