11 April 2014

Good Eats - Basil Pesto


This, my friends, is what my summers are all about - fresh basil on everything. I think I'll make a cocktail out of it.

fresh basil

But not today. Today I thought I'd reshare my recipe for basil pesto instead. It's so easy to make and so expensive to purchase. If you use your kitchen for nothing but making basil pesto, rest assured your family and friends will still think you're one majorly talented chef when your drench their frozen entree with this.

ingredients for basil pesto

FRESH BASIL PESTO:

2 C loosely packed fresh basil leaves, washed & dried
1/2 C Pine nuts {can also use walnuts or almonds}, lightly toasted.  
1/2 C fresh Parmesan cheese, shredded
1/2 C olive oil
3 large garlic cloves
1/8 tsp salt

toasting pine nuts

Toast the pine nuts, stirring the entire time. Watch them carefully as they have a tendency to burn easily.

processing basil for pesto

In your food processor, process basil leaves slightly. To that add the pine nuts, Parmesan, & garlic cloves.  Process until finely minced.

basil pesto recipe via homeologymodernvintage.com

 Slowly pour the olive oil into the processor while continuing to process the mixture.  Blend well.

pureed basil for pesto

 You should have a creamy consistency when done.

Our favorite way to eat it is on freshly toasted French bread.  But it's great on absolutely everything under the sun. Pesto waffle anyone?

basil pesto recipe

 Pesto is one of my absolute favorite summer treats from the garden.

how to freeze pesto

And it freezes fabulously.  Above is how I like to freeze mine. Simply place 1/8 C pesto {only small portions are needed for recipes} & drop it into the corner of a zip lock bag.  Twist the bag as above (or you can use a twist tie to keep it in place) as it freezes.  Each batch should make approx. 4-6 individual bags.

When you're ready to use, pull from freezer, let thaw (approx 30 minutes), snip the tip of the baggie, & squeeze out as much as you need.

Hope your spring weekend is glorious! Oh, and if you know of a basil cocktail, send it on ;)

Share/Bookmark

3 comments :

  1. Oh, yum! I love basil pesto and feel like I found out about late so now I'm trying to make up for lost time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love basil and pesto. Need to buy a plant for the deck.

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover