14 April 2014

Container Plantings to Compliment a Bold Blue Door

There was so much gardening going on on Instagram this weekend, and I was right in the thick of it.

front entryway

Friday and Saturday were devoted to weeding flower beds. But I saved Sunday for my most favorite garden task - container plantings.

With a bold new color on our front door, I had to rethink my color choices when it came to selecting my plantings for this area. The old colors of lavender and pink weren't going to cut it now that our door has gone from green to blue.


With the boldness of this door color, I had to be bold with my plant colors as well.

blue front door

So I mixed it up by using five different colors of blooms + greenery. The explosion of color on either side of the door helps balance things out.

colorful spring containers

It's early in the season, but you can imagine what these will look like in a few weeks. 

Remember how lifeless the front entry was when we first painted?

blue painted door

I knew the door was going to be a nice feature, but it desperately needed balance. Using the blue door as the feature, I chose complimentary colors to add dimension.

chartreuse potato vine

Chartreuse - love its yellow-green hue next to the blue.

white pansy

And a  little white to complement the white trim of the house.

black-eyed susan

Some yellow in the black-eyed Susan + flower pots. And the beautiful maroon of the Swiss chard (hiding in the back) make all the light colors pop against its large dark leaves.

With a neutral colored house, I love all this added color at the entry of our home. It's going to make a bold statement as it fills out in the coming weeks.


Share/Bookmark

8 comments :

  1. It looks great! I love those really tall containers on the porch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! I've always wanted a house with a red door, but after looking at your picture, I want a blue door. I like to stand out from the crowd and be different. It's not often you see colored doors. Can't wait to settled down from the military lifestyle and have a house {with a painted door} and beautiful garden. Your pictures are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me, too! I am so in love with them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That door makes me happy everytime I drive up to it. Everyone suggested I stick with green; but I'm seriously craving color right now. I'm so glad I went with my gut on that choice. (This coming from a neutral loving colorphobe!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. kelly@ cowboys daughter designApril 14, 2014 at 2:55 PM

    In love with that blue door! It looks great Sarah, motivating too!
    xokelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say ditto with the blue door as well. Spring is taking its sweet ole time in NE South Dakota. I am so antsy to get out in my gardens every day. Very pretty! www.marilynsway.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That looks so perfect and it all sets the bold door off and really makes it pop! I love the chartreuse color of foliage, too. Be careful of that black-eyed Susan vine--it's going to get huge and try to strangle everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! just absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover