28 March 2014

Revisiting My Easter Wreath Failure


Hey guys! I'm so looking forward to Easter this year (as you will see next week)-  partly because it's always the first official outdoor gathering of the year and partly because our home's newly renovated exterior makes me want to bask in its brand newness. So to get things rolling, I thought it would be fun to do a little Easter recap from 2013 today. Enjoy at my expense!

This is a story of an Easter creation that failed. Yep, it happens - something about reading the instructions all the way through... yada, yada, yada. Yes, there's a lesson to be learned here, folks. But, don't worry, there's a happy ending.

Let's start at the beginning, shall we?


This past Wednesday I found the most adorable Easter wreath from Kelly at Eclectically Vintage. She made a couple of cutie pies last year that look to be an appropriate "supervised" child's craft. One was a Peeps wreath, the other a marshmallow wreath. And, yes, I did say she made them LAST year... 2012... 365 days ago - and they are still in perfect condition! No deterioration, no bugs, no decomposition. Crazy...

Anyway, I was looking for a fun craft project that I could  include the g'babies on and thought this one would be perfect, because I kind of have a thing for Peeps.

So off I went to the grocery store to for the simple list of supplies - styrofoam wreath, toothpicks, and Peeps.

marshmallow wreath

Isn't this just the prettiest wreath ever, all white and puffy? I know, it's not the fluorescent pastels of the Peeps, but here's why:

Apparently in my neck of the woods Peeps are no longer included in the list of "ubiquitous" Easter candy. Shocking, I know! I had to trek to three different stores before I finally found them at an obscure Dollar General. But, just my luck, Peeps only come in packs of ten for $1.25. Not such a bad price, you say; but when you multiply than by 150+ and the fact that I am making two of them, those cute little yellow Peeps get a little on the pricey side! Needless to say, I opted for marshmallows, and I'm actually happier about that.

Here's the list of supplies, if you're brave enough to follow my directions {Kelly's original post on the marshmallow wreath is here, and I highly recommend you check hers out because, well, it was her idea after all}:

styrofoam wreath form
  • 16" white extruded foam wreath. Make sure to get a white wreath so that it matches the marshmallows.

pastel ribbon
  • A ribbon of your choice {I used a sheer pastel}.
marshmallow wreath supplies

  • Round toothpicks. The round toothpicks are sturdier
  • Marshmallows - I used three bags, Kelly calls for four. Honestly, I had a difficult time getting a tighter fit because the marshmallows wanted to extrude off the toothpick when I got them too tightly together. Besides, the white wreath with the white marshmallows all blends together, so I  just went with it.
So that's it. A simple list and a simple project..

how to make a marshmallow wreath
After tying your ribbon to the wreath, simply insert your toothpick just deep enough so it doesn't protrude from the surface of the marshmallow.

I alternated my marshmallows so that they weren't in straight lines like little soldiers. This also helps to fill in the gaps between the marshmallows and the wreath base.

making an easter wreath
Lookin' good!
easter marshmallow wreath

easter wreath
After about an hour, here's my finished product. I love its pastel hue +ethereal aura. And I love that it was so easy!

All finished and totally proud of my accomplishment, I took a break on the sofa to recover from all that hard labor. But after a few minutes of basking in my accomplishment, I began hearing "thunk... thunk... thunk." Then the dog began pacing back and forth from the entryway to me.

Knowing there was something amiss by my ever-alert pup, I rose from my seat to find this:
a marshmallow wreath failure
I was hearing sad the "thunk" of little marshmallows as they fell to their deaths. Kinda pitiful, just laying there on the floor with nowhere to go.

I just shook my head and sat back down.

"Thunk... thunk... thunk..."

After several more minutes of dying marshmallows, I could no longer bear the "thunk" of death. So, as a last resort {cause that's how I do it}, I went back to the instructions to see  that I was supposed to place the wreath in the refrigerator until the marshmallows hardened. Duh!

That's what I get for not following directions all the way through to the end. But, honestly, who knew a marshmallow needed to harden? Not me, obviously.

I've since repaired my wreath and allowed it sit in the fridge overnight. And apparently that did the trick 'cause this baby is rock solid and holding up like a champ! Yay!!!

Thanks Kelly for this easy and fun project that's totally doable for the attention span of little ones.  This project is appropriate for supervised involvement with a four year old & I'll definitely be creating this one with her tomorrow. And the two year old, well she'll merely try to eat her weight in marshmallows & Peeps 'cause that's what two year old's do best... ;)

Share/Bookmark

1 comment :

  1. This was so much fun to read! It made me think of ads on TV for Lowes right now, where a homeowner is tiling his shower and steps back to appreciate his work, and the tiles fall off, thunk, thunk, thunk, as he watches. I'm glad that the fix was so easy and that there was a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover