03 February 2014

A Long Awaited Addition


Seriously, I've been searching for the perfect piece to add to my powder room for, well, ever since we've lived in this home. That's been 15 years, people.

And while some things are certainly worth waiting for, I didn't expect this to be one of them.

Are you intrigued? Well, here it is...

1950's umbrella stand

Yep, it's a toilet paper holder... But not just any toilet paper holder. It's the perfect toilet paper holder.

repurposed toilet paper holder

Can I get an Amen?

Understandably, a toilet paper holder isn't something typically worth celebrating. But I've been looking for the "just right" toilet paper holder for "forevah." And so far all I've found were overly-decorated florals tubes or something that was obviously a toilet paper holder. I wanted discretion, subtlety, and quiet functionality out of my toilet paper holder. Apparently that's asking a lot.

This is what we've been using up to this point.

half bath

Not so pretty. And definitely not discrete.

toilet paper container

But all that changed when this beauty fell into my lap as I was pilfering through a pile of junk at an estate sale.

brass umbrella stand

I scooped it up for $5. (Woot!) Don't hate.

It's original purpose was as an umbrella stand - way back when we all used the large versions of the pocket-sized ones we have today. An umbrella stand might be a bit obsolete now, but a toilet paper holder definitely is not + probably never will be.

recycled toilet paper holder

This little gem wasn't so pretty in the beginning with its worn finish. And while I love a good patina, the room already has enough patina going on. I was looking for some "new" in the mix.

worn painted metal

rustoleum paint + primer

Nothing a little spray paint wouldn't fix.

gold painted toilet paper holder

So much better! 

Am I the first to take an umbrella stand from obsolete to awesome? Just maybe...

sharing with Savvy Southern Style

Share/Bookmark

2 comments :

  1. Amen! Love it, 15 years is a long time to wait for the perfect paper holder, just so happy for you both as I am sure the paper holder is so happy not to have went umbrellas shoved into it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need one of those!!!!
    no more of my Jimmy Chew grabbing a roll and tearing it up or cats attacking it.
    Perfect idea, well worth the wait I'd say!

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover