27 January 2014

Blog With Love


Today is a little off the cuff, but I've been reading a lot lately about the authenticity of blogging (or the lack thereof) and how readers are feeling disconnected from the authors. I hear laments of how bloggers used to be a community of like-minded people who enjoyed coming together for a specific purpose but who have now lost their focus by becoming just another extension of mass media.

This subject made me think hard about why I blog and why I spend the multitude of hours on it each week.

Do you have a blog of your own? If so, do you use your blog merely as a way of generating an income for your family or clients for your business, or do you blog for the love and for the opportunity to connect with people who have similar interests? Perhaps you're like me and it's a bit of both? My business is what started this whole whirlwind of fun for me, but I don't blog for that reason alone.

My blog is so much more than that. It's where I share my excitement about my latest finds, my current passions, and anything else that may be going on in my life with those of you who have similar interests or who are focused on similar projects. And because my blog focuses on whatever is going on in my daily life, it's also why it can go in several different directions at any given time. Life is never one directional, and neither is my blog. I also realize that if this were a business plan, I'd totally be out of business. My daily operation doesn't fit with the map for attracting mass numbers of followers + sponsors. I totally get that. However, as much as I love big numbers and big sponsors, I don't want those facts to dilute the authenticity of this blog's content. I blog for the passion and for the community it builds - not for the SEO, not for the numbers, and not for the marketers or sponsors.

And as far as blogging, I believe we all have different interests at different times. I don't take personal offense if you decide you no longer find my content relevant to your life; and I don't lose sleep over unsubscribes, which I'm blessed to say are few. I find it much more important (+ dare I say gratifying) to have followers that actually read my content rather than having followers for the sheer number. Most of my followers have been with me from early on, and I find that fact much more relevant than the number of new subscribers. Quality over quantity.

So there you have it in a nutshell, I blog for the love of it and for the community it builds with other like-minded people.

And if I could give one bit of advice to those just beginning their blogging journey, it would be to blog with authenticity. Over time you will build a community of kindred spirits, and isn't that what blogging is all about?

Blog with love, people, blog with love. The rest will come in time.

Share/Bookmark

5 comments :

  1. ...couldn't agree more~ love your blog & love it the way it is & love it that i have found you! thank you sarah, you inspire me~

    xokelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I agree. I am sometimes a bit angsty about not being professional, or interesting to enough people, but I enjoy the chance to share a slice of my creative life. I juggle gardening, quilting, and building a cabin while living in it. Thanks for the reminder! I am sew glad I found your site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. welcome, jane! your creations are just lovely.

      Delete
  3. Great post! I started blogging because I had just learned what a blessing it was to save money on my grocery bill with coupons, meal planning, and so on and I wanted to help others find the same savings! Several years later and I'm still in it for the same reasons. It is helpful to make a little money for the time I put in, but the main reason is the readers!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover