02 December 2013

Polymer Clay Gift Tags

Adding little details to the everyday is how I make life just a bit more special. And one way I like to do that is by using handmade elements whenever possible. The project I'm featuring today is one such craft, + I'm so excited to be able to share it with you.
I came across this polymer clay project from A Beautiful Mess and couldn't wait to try it. They're such a great way to personalize your gifts.
polymer clay
I love the handmade quality theses tags add.
Care to make a few of your own?  The list of supplies include:
supplies for making clay tags
  • pasta machine for rolling (a rolling pin works just as well)
  • polymer clay
  • paint pens in fine + ultra fine
  • plastic straw
  • fondant cutters
  • wax paper
  • scissors
  • Decorative baker's twine or string
To create the tags, roll your clay on a sheet of wax paper. The wax paper prevents the clay from sticking to your work surface.

Using the fondant cutters, press out your tags. Next, use the straw to create a hole for your twine. (I found that after two or three uses the straw would become clogged with clay. When that happened, I simply snipped off the end.)
diy clay tags
Once you've created your tags, place them in a glass baking dish and bake according to package directions. Set aside and allow to cool.
how to make polymer clay gift tags
I tested several types of polymer clay on this project - white, an odd colored translucent, + an iridescent. My favorite by far was this iridescent clay. I love the shimmery effect of the background.
polymer clay gift tag
Once your pieces are completely cooled, use your paint pens to create whatever designs you wish. I tend to use modern designs mixed with natural elements. It makes for an interesting mix.

And lastly, attach the twine to your beautifully executed handmade tags.
handmade polymer clay tags
I love the handmade quality these tags have. As each recipient recieves their gift, they'll have a tag that can be recycled from year to year.

There's nothing like the holidays to show off your creative prowess. Should you decide to craft some gift tags for yourself, I hope you'll share your creations as inspiration for others.


Share/Bookmark

5 comments :

  1. Ha! I laugh because I was just thinking the other day that I just keep pinning and rarely go back to look. I think I will actually go and delete a few and tidy up some of my boards.
    I have so many craft and art ideas saved too. I really need to see what I've collected.
    I LOVE your tags. Very MOD! I hope you show them later on the presents so that we can see your choice of wrapping paper and ribbon.( I always spend forever trying to pick out my wrapping supplies.)
    xoxo - Cindi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, those pins just pile up, don't they? it's kind of like my craft room closet-filled to the rim with partially complete crafts. so shameful...
      oh, you'll see the gifts tags again, just as soon as i get motivate to shop for the gifts that need to be wrapped. (i'm so behind on my christmas shopping!)

      Delete
  2. Found you on French Country Cottage and was immediately drawn to your photo, what a fun idea, I will have to try these. I adore modern mixed with vintage, you have a lovely site! Will be back~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you mind letting me know what brand of clay do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cyndi, I'm 99% sure I was using Sculpy clay on this project.

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover