18 October 2013

Designating a Work Space

The hub's now works out of town during the week and has requested a work space for when he's home.

In our bedroom.

Ahem... Deep breath.

There's a very nice room in the basement that is perfectly suited for his needs. It's a place where he could spread out, leave his mess, and no one would be the wiser. It's spacious, well lit, and begging to be used. It's perfect! But no. No, that room won't do. The basement is too dark and isolated. The bedroom is perfect.

The bedroom. He wants to be in the bedroom.

And he gave me a budget of... wait for it... a whopping $100! One hundred smack-a-roos.

I laughed so hard I nearly choked on my sandwich. Men are deliriously naive when it comes to design budgets. But I'm up for a good challenge and look forward to thrifting and diy'ing my way to a beautiful, cohesive, and unified work space that will stay well below the customary budget.

And since I've been itching to update the bedroom for some time now, I'm seizing the opportunity while this opportunity is hot.

Here's a partial view of the room. This is the side I'll be focusing on for his work space.

bedroom design

Although the room is quite large and can accommodate a lot of furniture, the amount we have just makes the space visually oppressive. I think we can make better use of the space.

green desk

This is the desk we currently use. It sets next to this behemoth

t.v. amoire

Remember how fabulous + functional these pieces used to be?

traditional bedroom decor

And that chair. Oh my. Yes, I have two of these...

Hub's has requested ample space to spread out, so my plan will be to remove a few of the large wood pieces on this wall and replace them with this

diy work space


Can you see it? The basics consist of two Billy's which will flank a hollow core door that I'm using as the desktop which will be held up by a pair of  metal two-drawer file cabinets. Above that we'll install the t.v. on the wall, leaving the desktop free. I intend to diy each of these pieces into something a little more functional + beautiful which will hopefully look like a built-in when it's all complete.

painting vinyl
Little Green Notebook
And I love what Jenny did with her vinyl office chair. Perhaps I'll take inspiration from her project.

Believe it or not, this will be my first major diy project. But since I my only other option is to install custom built-ins and I'm not 100 percent sure I want a permanent fixture like that in my bedroom, I'm taking the low-cost diy option first. If it doesn't work, I've not lost a fortune and can always resort to plan B.

This is just the beginning of this bedroom redo. There's a long to-do list I have in here. But I'm really looking forward to getting started on this side where I'll begin incorporating a little modern into what's currently a very traditional mix.

Opinions? I'd love to hear how you diy'd your work station. How many of you have hacked an Ikea bookshelf, and has yours held up? And if any of you have created a work space in your bedroom, I'd love to hear your ideas and suggestions.

Share/Bookmark

3 comments :

  1. Yikes--that's a daunting project! I'm will definitely look forward to updates along the way--i think you're very courageous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the behemoth! I can also visualize those chairs slip covered with your monogram embroidered smack in the middle of a laurel wreath. And that desk is adorable. You got a great foundation to start with what you already have. Can't wait to see what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited to see what you do with the space! You have a great eye for design and I know that it will look amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover