25 September 2013

Transitioning into Fall

This week has been devoted to little things I can do while my finger begins to heal (and thanks for supporting me through my reckless kitchen mishap - you guys are the best!). Surprising how difficult it is to function without the use of one's pinkie, and typing seems to be the biggest challenge. As much as ya'll tolerate the typos that make their way into my posts on an embarrassingly regular schedule, you can expect to find a few more during the next few weeks.

And now on to a more pleasant topic... Fall! Yes, it's officially here.

I took this downtime as an opportunity to do some seasonal transitioning in one of my favorite spots in my house, my dining room. Remember the pomander pumpkin tutorial I made a couple of weeks ago? The pomanders made their way into a rustic vignette in my bay window.

rustic accessories

They smell so nice, and I love the organic touch.

pomanders

During the fall season I give myself permission to clutter the home a little, gathering bits + pieces that normally stay hidden away from sight. Normally I'm quite the minimalist, but not during this season of homesteading - where it's now time to tuck the garden beds in for the winter and begin creating warm cozy spaces indoors. The woods will soon be full of changing leaves, bountiful acorns, and colorful berries and I need a way to bring all that goodness indoors.

vintage decor

An old child's wagon wheel, a collection of unearthed bottles, and a chippy kitchen cannister all set atop an old breadboard is a perfect way to add warmth.

antique tin

I collect them into sweet little vignettes and place them in strategic areas where they will be most visible during their short stay. A short but sweet stay which allows me to indulge in a few beautifully curated collections.

Then, once fall and Thanksgiving pass, I clear away the clutter and make room for clipped evergreens,  my collection of glassware, and the shimmery metallic accents that bring light into my spaces throughout the winter.

onion vase

battery jars

I love my glassware collection and have already begun to bring them into the room. I can't wait to fill them!

Share/Bookmark

4 comments :

  1. Hello There!
    I love your post and how you fashion your home. I did notice when reading that some of the square glass on the table was listed as vintage batteries jars. I have never seen them. I thought that they were just small glass block that had a open top. Can you tell us more about them?
    Lisa Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, i loooove my battery jars!!! originally made in the early 20th century, these jars were used to hold a battery suspended in a conductive solution. typically there were used for automobiles + farm equipment. i do use the term loosley, as later in the mid 20th century these companies also used these same molds decoratively to create fish bowls + vases. same look, different use. i just love the industrial/authentic look of them.

      Delete
  2. Sarah, I love you clear antique bottle collection. I have a lot of those that my husband and I dug up. They look great with your pumpkins and dough bowl. Hope you heal quickly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much mary anne! old glass always seem to make its way home with me.

      Delete

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover