28 August 2013

Sweet Revival - Boring Storage Unit to Glam Cabinet

I recently came across a homely orange stained mid-century storage cabinet that had been relegated to a musty basement. This after image shows the potential that was there behind the musty smell, the mold, and layer of yuck.

painted storage cabinet

Here you see the befores and why I chose to revive it.

I do love me some mid-century, so I was immediately compelled to take a closer look. And underneath all that mildew was a solid piece of furniture. A solid oak piece is definitely worth a revival. (note to self: I really do need to start carrying a mask and gloves to these soirees.)

vintage storage cabinet

painting preparations

Ahem... You just have to get past the ugliness and grime and envision the inner beauty.

And before you fuss about me painting this piece, know that I am a huge proponent of natural woods opposed to painted. However, this one was going to need a refinish - and that is my marker for giving the okay on painting. I can always strip it later if I tire of the look.

The work in progress:

primed furniture

A very thorough cleaning, two coats of primer, two coats of paint, two coats of poly, some wallpaper details, + two weeks later here she is. Whew!

hollywood regency cabinet
Loving the retro feel of the wallpapered interior.

mid century

A little retro, a little Hollywood Regency, and a whole lot of sassy!

wallpaper lining
All fresh + new, she's a great utilitarian piece that's also pretty on the eyes.

Now that she's all glammed up, this piece would serve nicely as a bar station or in a small entryway.

mid century designed furniture

I love all the storage underneath and the surprise of a wallpapered back. Yep. That dressed up facade makes her an appropriate addition to any room.

painted storage cabinet

I almost think she's prettier left open, showing off her fanciness.

upcycled furniture

Hello sassy legs!

Share/Bookmark

6 comments :

  1. Oh how fun is this. I love the added touches of gold. Fantastic. I would love for you to link up to my ongoing party - Inspire Me --http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/08/179th-inspire-me-tuesday.html Hope to see you there. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man, I LOVE what you did with that, and what great lines on that piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is great! I am working on a similar piece and want to find somewhere to add the gold now!! lovely, just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! and do send me a link when your project is complete - i'd love to see your finished piece!

      Delete

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover