19 August 2013

Saarinen Style Tulip Table

If you follow me on Instgram or Facebook, you may have seen this pic of the Sarrinen-style tulip table and the Eames-style shell chair I unearthed a couple of weeks ago.

Did I say how excited I was to find not one but two mid-century classics in one week? It's such a rarity here in the Southeast.


They're vintage mid-century pieces. And as such, were in need of some serious lovin'.

The chair got a major cleaning.


Hello sexy little swivel chair!

 But the table? Well, thanks to a poorly done paint job, it was a whole other story.

Although neither were true originals, both were very well constructed replicas. That said, the table was definitely worthy of a little time, effort,+ tlc.



Underneath it's sad facade I could see the original white paint of the metal base and a peek of the walnut veneer top. It had me a bit excited! Could there be something like this beauty hiding below?

1st dibs
You never know why someone chooses to paint over a piece, but my experience has been that it is usually for a reason...


Anticipation...


This part is so gratifying.

And underneath it all I was greeted with a chipped up base and a walnut laminate top that was faded and worn.

Okay, not the beauty above, but definitely still a keeper.

Since unveiling the original finish confirmed that the table wasn't a true original, I came up with a plan that added a little hint of glam - something an original never would have had but is totally appropriate for the piece.



A souvenire alligator head. Totally appropriate.

Well, that and a little strip of gold glitz on the rim. See, just a hint.

After stripping and sanding, I repainted the base in a soft white, applied a band of gilt to the rim, then conditioned the top to deepen the color and bring back some of the original sheen.


And here you are - another piece of mid-century awesomeness saved!


On a side note, someone stole the little alligator from the booth. Rotten thieves, may they burn...

Share/Bookmark

6 comments :

  1. In my panic, I think I just lost the comment that I was writing...
    but,
    NO! please don't paint it White again.
    I LOVE love love it.
    and I really hesitate to say this but I love the alligator head too.
    Yep. I'm the one that hates antlers and cowhides in decor but this reminds me of being a little girl on vacation in Miami when my parents bought me a real stuffed baby alligator. (really awful to think about) but I loved that thing and SLEPT with it...
    so yeah, perfect. in a freaky sort of way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i shudder to think of it now; but growing up in florida, these souvenirs were so commonplace. i think that's why i gravitated to the poor little thing when i spotted him on the shelf of a antiques store. he needed to be appreciated + loved!

      Delete
  2. The table turned out great! Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the contrast with the top of the table and the base. It looks great!!! What a cool find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, melissa! they are rare indeed in my neck of the woods!

      Delete

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover