24 July 2013

Farm to Table - Low Calorie Mixed Berry Almond Cream Cobbler

Are you ready to consume all those fresh berries that will soon be coming in from your local farmer's market? If so, I have a cobbler recipe to share with you that's surprisingly decadent yet low-calorie.

I recently shared my most favorite cobbler recipe here (fresh fruit cobbler). It's a full calorie Southern version using butter and sugar. It's an indulgence I only allow myself once a year. However, the low-calorie recipe I'm about to share is also full of flavor and richness but reduces the calories to a mere 195 per serving. That makes this dessert an "anytime I feel like it" kind of treat!

almond cream berry cobbler

As I've said before, I have a steadfast rule that every recipe must pass before it makes it to the trial stage in my kitchen - it must be wicked easy.  And this one doesn't disappoint. (recipe courtesy of eatingwell.com).

Ingredients:

1/3 C slivered almonds
1/2 C sugar
2 T all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
1 large egg
1/3 C firm silken low-fat tofu
1 T softened butter
1/4 tsp pure almond extract
3 C mixed berries of your choice (here I only used blackberries, since it's what I had on hand)
Confectioner's sugar for dusting
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 9" pie pan with cooking spray.
  • Spread almonds in a shallow baking pan. Bake until fragrant + lightly golden (approx. 4-6 minutes). Let cool.
  • Place sugar, flour, salt, + almonds into food processor. Process until finely ground.
  • Add egg, tofu, butter, + almond extract. Process until smooth.
  • Spread berries evenly in the pie pan and pour almond cream over the top, spreading evenly.
  • Bake until light golden and set, 40-50 minutes. Let cool for approx. 20 minutes. When cool, dust with confectioner's sugar.
Serve warm. (195 calories per serving)

Surprisingly, the calorie saver in this recipe is the almond cream. Traditionally, almond cream is a richly decadent filling used in French pastries. But in this recipe, it becomes the low-calorie filling that holds everything together. And the addition of toasted almonds to the recipe enhances the flavors of the berries for a perfect combination of sweet and savory.

mixed berry cobbler

The end result is a golden brown cobbler with just the right amount of crisp.

low calorie berry cobbler
Oh my, this low-calories dessert has definitely earned a place in the recipe box! It's lightly sweet with just enough richness to make it feel indulgent.

low calorie mixed berry almond cream cobbler
A perfect balance of sweet + tart, and the perfect end to a light summer meal. I'm topping my dessert off with another blackberry treat - the Blackberry Gin Fizz. So good!!! I'll share that yumminess with you next week!

What are you cooking with your fresh berries? Do share!

Share/Bookmark

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover