17 May 2013

Mason Jar Luminaries

I've been busy working on a little project in preparation for the soon-to-be summer outdoor activities.

diy luminary

diy mason jar luminary

Isn't he cute? Like most great ideas, this one was born out of necessity.

In my pursuit for a few modern designed outdoor lights, I came across a beautiful set of porcelain hurricane lamps at West Elm. 
west elm

They were perfect. But at $29 each (I needed four), I hesitated for a moment. And, luckily, just as I was about to click the purchase button, I remembered my overabundant collection of mason jars. Could I duplicate the beautifully modern look of the West Elm lanterns with a Mason jar? I had to know. 

My list of supplies was simple:

Glass jar
removable adhesive office labels in design of your choice
Paint of your choice (I used Rust-oleum's Universal in gloss white)
glass floral beads
votive candle
luminary

Using labels from the office supply store to create my pattern, I made sure the edges were securely adhered.

handmade luminary

Once I was happy with my design, I turned the jar upside down (to prevent overspray from settling inside the jar) and applied several light coats of paint.

With the modern dotted design, I opted to use Rustoleum's Universal in gloss white. But if you want a more rustic look, chalk paint would be a good alternative.

diy mason jar luminary

Once the paint was dry, I carefully removed the labels ensuring that the edges remained crisp + clean.

homeologymodernvintage.com

Lastly, I added glass floral beads to the bottom and a votive candle. Adding the beads does two things - it helps stabalize the luminary and helps protect the surface below from heat should your candle burn for a long period of time. You could also use sand or pebbles.

modern design luminary


And here's the finished product. I love the modern graphic of the dotted design!

luminary

mason jar luminary

I can't wait to put this to good use on a warm summer night!

Happy weekend my friends!

Share/Bookmark

8 comments :

  1. Such a great idea! I will definitely use your art as inspiration in my gardens this summer. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the neat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks! (love, love your sign in!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're so welcome, robyn! thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the simplicity of this project.... It's cute and easy to make. I'll have to try this one! Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's definitely a quick + easy little project. do send me a link if you make one, i'd love to see it!

      Delete
  6. So fun, so easy and so many possibilities! Red is my outdoor accent color so I feel red lights soon to be added to my patio! Your a dear to share your talents! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh, red - so bold + full of personality! lulu, i imagine your friends say the same about you! thank you so much for stopping by & leaving your kind comment!

      Delete

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover