11 March 2013

More Hollywood Regency Glam - Culver Cocktail Glasses

This is a pristine set of Culver glasses from the 1960's. Their size makes them a double old-fashioned if I'm not mistaken, in a perfect set of eight.

Love!!! 

I love their glitzy golden exterior. I love their over-the-top embellishments. I love the Moroccan design that evokes Regency all the way.
vintage cocktail glasses
I love bar ware, it's no lie. And it's my gift of choice for newlyweds. Yep, if you're getting married and I'm invited, chances are you're getting a great set of glasses from me. You can pretty much count on it.
culver barware
I'm not positive where the adoration for cocktail glasses came from. But I'm pretty certain it has to do with the cocktail parties my parents would throw as I was growing up. I found the whole ritual of the occasion completely mesmerizing. I remember watching from a distance as all the preparations were being done - the yummy finger foods made ahead of time, the house being put in order, and {my personal favorite} the ritual of the dress. Oh yes, there was a dress code of cocktail dresses for the ladies and suits & ties for the men, and it was strictly enforced.

It was all so fascinating for me. And as we, the children, were being sent off to the neighbor's house while the grown-ups gathered, I romanticized how I would one day have swanky cocktail parties of my own. It somehow became equated as a rite of passage into adulthood. Good bar ware = good party = great hostess.

This childhood memory was brought to you via 1960's Hollywood Regency when the style was still in its heyday. In proper Hollywood Regency style, the design of a room was created as a backdrop to the people and it was all about entertaining.  Hollywood Regency was know for the fabulous cocktail parties of the time. One might even go so far as to say the era was solely responsible for the cocktail party. If you think Rat Pack and swanky lounges, you'll totally get where I'm coming from.
gold and green glasses
Needless to say, when I found these Culver cocktail glasses at an estate, they were the first thing I added to my hoard. So pretty and sophisticated. Hollywood Regency at its finest. And what other era could pull it off the blend elegantly? A design by any other era would just be tacky, but not so for Hollywood Regency.

Can't you just imagine the parties these handsome gents were invited to and the discussions they were privy to as they were caressed by the bouffant haired ladies and the clean shaven gentlemen? Oh, if glassware could only talk!

This fabulous set of eight Culver "Valencia" double old-fashioned glasses will soon be available in our Etsy shop. Look for them soon!

Oh, and if you're looking to have a swanky party of your own, check out my post on bar essentials where I cover the basics on setting up a proper bar. It's loads of fun and is sure to make your party a hit!

linking to remnantpdx


Share/Bookmark

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover