17 December 2012

Vintage Gift Wrap

Today was a cold rainy day.  A perfect day for a fire, some music, a bit of eggnog, and gift wrapping while sitting under the warm glow of a lit Christmas tree.

While pulling out the Christmas decorations this year, I've been finding all sorts of  stash from our old shop.  Stash that I couldn't bear to send to auction when we closed in 2011.  They were haphazardly stored in places I knew I would get to eventually.  And this year I'm seeing them again for the first time.  What fun it has been - little surprises in unexpected places!

In my collection of Christmas notions I found this 1960's Christmas box, gently used and lovingly preserved.
1960s christmas box via homeologymodernvintage.com

1960s christmas box via homeologymodernvintage.com
And a sweet gift box someone created from a recycled Christmas card laced with ribbon.  I can only imagine the time it took to glue the ric rac and weave the ribbons - all with a special someone in mind.

This year it will holds a surprise for a sweet little 1 1/2 year old.  I'm sure she will delight in the antics of the little mouse.
handmade christmas box via homeologymodernvintage.com
A vintage white Christmas pick adorns this gift.
vintage christmas picks via homeologymodernvintage.com
As vintage embellishments are added to others
vintage christmas tag via homeologymodernvintage.com
vintage christmas picks via homeologymodernvintage.com
The presents are wrapped with care and will soon reveal themselves to little eyes.
vintage christmas gift via homeologymodernvintage.com
When I was growing up, the women in my family always saved the embellishments from the presents & reused them year after year.  I never understood why a worthless piece of paper or dime store ribbon was so important.  I repeatedly saw the same embellishments year after year - each time a little worse for the wear.

But as I did, it became clear why.  Each one began to have a special place in my heart as a little memory of a Christmas past.
scandi tree via homeologymodernvintage.com
One of my favorite things to unearth at estate sales & thrift stores are vintage Christmas papers & adornments.  I love the charm they add.  And, yes, I save them all.

Share/Bookmark

4 comments :

  1. I wrapped all day yesterday, too and still not through. Love your vintage wrappings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it took me two hours just to get the few i've shown done! i have many, many more... the first few are so much fun as one's creative juices are flowing, but then comes the ebb {uggh!}

      Delete
  2. Love all your vintage embellishments and that first box is amazing! I just came back from an antique mall where I was looking at some vintage wrapping paper. I love the old patterns. My Mom used to iron wrapping paper so she could use it again the next year. It could have something to do with her living through the Great Depression, but still I thought it was a little bit much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha-ha! i love the fact that she ironed the paper - what a novel idea! don't think i'll take it to that level just yet, that is, depending on our current economy ;)

      Delete

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover