19 December 2012

Scandivian Christmas Tablescape

We're having our Christmas get-together this weekend, so it's time to set the table.  The dinner table's design started with an awesome pair of hand blown glass vases as the centerpiece.  Their organic shapes are perfect for the casual dress code - comfortable with a touch of sparkle.
hand blown glass vases via homeologymodernvintage.com
We're keeping the design simple, in the style of modern Scandinavian.  If you'd like to look back at the design choices I created in the rest of my home, start here at the front entry, then the foyer here, the mantle, and finally, the Christmas tree here.

The good china is staying in the cupboard this year.  Instead, it will be a more relaxed atmosphere with mixed ironstone pieces taking their place.
mid century Drexel dining set via homeologymodernvintage.com
Above is my starting point, a recently acquired Danish modern dining set by Drexel.  There were only four chairs with the set, so I pulled another four from our inventory for an eclectic mix.  I plan on recovering these, but it won't happen before the Christmas dinner so I'm just going with it as is.  I love the table - with the two extensions, it seats 12 comfortably.  Still not large enough for our crowd, but it's a vast improvement over our previous table.
rustic table setting via homeologymodernvintage.com
No tablecloth or placemats, just the rustic look of bare wood. 

Remember the vintage Christmas picks I used to embellish my gifts?  The remaining pieces have become decorations on the table settings.  The little clusters of mushrooms are perfect for the rustic setting and will be a little vintage favor for each guest to take home.
Moravian star via homeologymodernvintage.com
 Oh, and I love these candleholders I found at a local antiques market.  A nice touch of modern for balance.

kitchen via homeologymodernvintage.com
Our dining room is open to our kitchen, which actually serves very well for the buffet-style dinner but doesn't make it easy to keep things visually appealing during a large gathering.  The key with an open floor plan is consistency.  For this buffet I'm taking the details all the way down to how the dinner setting matches the serving pieces in the kitchen - from the serving bowls to the casserole dishes - trying to keep a cohesive look throughout {and a lot of dish washing of messy pots}.blue willow sauce boat via homeologymodernvintage.com
I'm always looking for interesting or attractive items to serve a utilitarian purpose.  This antique Blue Willow sauce bowl is the perfect solution to house the flatware.
candle vignette using vintage tote via homeologymodernvintage.com
candle vignette via homeologymodernvintage.com
And for a little touch of  "pretty," I'm using an old tote to hold a trio of floating candles.  I filled it with a mix of magnolia pods I gathered and evergreens clipped from the Christmas tree.

homeologymodernvintage.com

And this old ironstone gravy boat filled with more evergreens is placed above the kitchen sink.  I'll be spending a lot of time hovering over this sink - it might as well be pretty.
table setting via homeologymodernvintage.com

table setting via homeologymodernvintage.com
The table is set for part of the guest list.  Only eight more place setting to go...
The great thing about buffet-style dining is all the free space it allows at the dinner table.  Lots of surface to decorate!
table setting via homeologymodernvintage.com

But mine will stay very simple.

This holiday has been all about the beauty of simple design and simplifying what is usually a crazy hectic time.  I love the clean, bright, open look of it - so much so that I have a feeling I'll continue this trend into our everyday living.  I've taken advantage of things already on hand, things I've recycled, and things gathered from nature to create a warm, relaxing environment.

After all, the setting is only the background to the guests.  What really shines at a great get-together is the conversation.

Share/Bookmark

1 comment :

  1. Love the simplicity of your Christmas decorations - and that Danish dining set is amazing!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover