05 December 2012

A Nordic Christmas {the mantle}

Here at {Home-ology} we're still touring around the house as I finish up the holiday decorating.  I've had so much fun with this design.  I keep finding things I want to add; but, alas, I cannot as my entire focus is to keep the look simple and elegant.  Today it was especially hard - I shopped the Queen after tweaking my own booths and came home with some great finds that I would love to use, but I'm holding to my guns {so far} ;)

 After featuring the front entryway and the foyer, today we're focusing on the mantle.  As I mentioned previously, I'm taking inspiration from a Nordic winter with elements of bright light, reflective surfaces, and rustic bits of nature.  All done with a minimal approach.

In working on this post, I notice that last year's mantle was basically the very same as this year's.  I didn't realize it at the time, but I was searching for simplicity even then without being aware.  Funny how we unconsciously transition...

Anyhoo, here she is!!!

winter mantle via homeologymodernvintage.com

antique wood dough bowl via homeologymodernvintage.com

winter mantle via homeologymodernvintage.com

winter mantle via homeologymodernvintage.com

My Christmas mantle is a simple combination of twigs and greenery and some added crystal drops used to accent all the other items which remain on the mantle year round.   Call me crazy, but I didn't find it necessary to replace the everyday items for the sake of the holidays.  By merely embellishing what was already there, the mantle is dressed for the season.

I must say I do love those twigs in the vases.  I love them so much that they never came down from Christmas 2011.  I really appreciate how they add dimension to the oil painting behind them and fill the large wall space.  And they're just a great way to add some outside to your inside without going the route of silk plants {which is definitely not my cup of tea}.

winter mantle via homeologymodernvintage.com

Adding a collection of crystal drops to the bare twigs gives the feel of dripping icicles.  And big fluffy snow birds speak of cold winter days {which we are sadly missing here in the south}.

winter mantle via homeologymodernvintage.com

winter mantle via homeologymodernvintage.com

Last, I added a few sparse twigs of live greenery under the mantle.

So there you have my winter mantle.  I know, not a big change from last year; but, hey, it's working so perfectly that I'm not gonna mess with a good thing!

winter mantle via homeologymodernvintage.com
So, the past couple of weeks you've had a few glimpses into our abode.  What do you think?  This home sits on acreage and nestles among horse farms.  It's a modern version of a colonial, so I decorate to fit it's style {with a few twists here & there}.  I love showing our home, but don't do it as much as I'd like as it is very, very diffucult to photograph.  We have lots of windows; however, the light doesn't fill the interior.  Instead of beautifully detailed examples, I get silhouettes.  So interior pic's are few & far between.  You'll see what I mean in Friday's post...

And that post will be the last in this tour.  Saving the best for last is the Scandi Christmas tree!  It's a southern version of what is usually only found in the coldest of climates, and believe me when I tell you, it wasn't easy to find down here!

Do stay tuned ;)


Share/Bookmark

2 comments :

  1. Hope this doesn't come across twice. I don't believe it went through the 1st time. I love your mantle....organic and classic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Sarah

    Love you mantle. I love that wooded bowl you have, it's beautiful. Need to get one of those. : ) Enjoyed looking around. Have a great week.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover