03 December 2012

A Nordic Christmas {the foyer}

Welcome back from a wonderful weekend!  Can I say just how happy I am that the trees have finally dropped all of their leaves & I can finally put away the rake & leaf blower? Amen! Now there are only the beautiful silhouettes of silver trees as far as the eye can see.

It's official, the winter scene is here and the Christmas decorations have a backdrop worthy of their beauty. This season my holiday design is taking inspiration from the Nordic winters for a simple, natural aesthetic. So far the front entryway  has been decked {I'm still in love with how it turned out and stop to admire it every time I walk past}!
rustic antler wreath via homeologymodernvintage.com
Next was the little addition to the foyer. That painted piece was key inspiration for the rest of the home. Keeping it simple, clean, & elegant. But there's more in the foyer of which I've yet to show you.

The foyer is the first peek into a home, so I like to put a bit of extra thought into it. It speaks volumes about the people who live inside, and I love it for that very reason. I would be so sad if I didn't have this little area in my home to welcome guests.

After showing you the painted piece I placed in there last week, I'm turning turn to the opposite side of the room for another view. On this side of the room is one of my favorite pieces, a French chest my grandparents brought home with them after their stay in France. It's the perfect surface to decorate for the changing seasons.
nordic christmas in the foyer via homeologymodernvintage.com

ironstone slop jar as vase via homeologymodernvintage.com
Using this ironstone jar as a vase, this bundle of fir branches was salvaged from our Christmas tree clippings and arranged inside. The jar is a favorite of mine and is always being used in my home in some fashion {other than for it's intended purpose}.
glass dome on silver tray via homeologymodernvintage.com
On one side of the jar is this domed lantern. I found the Chippendale tray at an antiques shop for $5.  It was black with tarnish when I unearthed it and, judging by the price, assumed it was silver plate.  Once I polished it however, I realized it was sterling. Yay for me! And, fortunately, it's the perfect size for the glass dome that I picked up at auction. Inside is a rustic lantern that was gifted to us many Christmases ago.  It fits in perfectly with this design.
trio of silvered candlesticks via homeologymodernvintage.com
And to the opposite side is this trio of silvered candlesticks.
bisque deer candlestick via homeologymodernvintage.com

bisque deer candlestick via homeologymodernvintage.com
As fillers are a pair of bisque deer I picked up at Target for $12.99 each. I love that place when I'm in need of a little "modern."  Sitting on top of the first one is a vintage handblown ornament from my hoard of ornies.
nordic christmas in the foyer via homeologymodernvintage.com
A bit more greenery to finish off, and this room is complete. I love the combination of the whites and the silvers.

Do you see how the ironstone & silver tray adds character and balances the "new" pieces? The qualities of vintage just can't be duplicated. Another trick for an added layer of interest is repurposing things into something completely different than their original purpose.

 There's so much more interest in a design when you get creative with your accessories. Think outside the box and use items in new ways. And select a few vintage pieces to eliminate that "shiny & new" element from your design.

That, my friends, is a good thing.

And if your in the market for some vintage ornaments of your very own or some beautiful ironstone {two of my holiday favorites}, there's a large collection of both in our booth on Church Street {inside the Alpharetta Queen of Hearts}.
 Do stop by!

Linking to the following:

Share/Bookmark

4 comments :

  1. Sarah, that chest is gorgeous and lucky you getting a steal on sterling. I love the whole vignette. If you could please add a link to my party and thanks so much for joining. I do need to come check out your booth again. I need a couple more ironstone platters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous!!! Had fun shopping in your booth the other day! That green door is perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover