30 November 2012

Rustic Antler Door Wreath

Happy Friday my bloglovin' peeps!  I'm guessing many of you have big plans this weekend to get some serious holiday decorating on.  Am I right?  Oh, it's a glorious time of year.  A bit of tinsel, lots of glitter, some Christmas music, and spiked egg nog.  Now what could be more appealing than that on a lazy weekend day?  The only bad part is the aftermath of the glitter.  {It's a lot like beach sand, ending up in places you'd rather not discuss...  Yep, we've all been there.}

Happily, I finished up all my decorating this week {yay!} and I'm now sitting back taking in the beauty of my hard work.  I have to say I'm very pleased with the changes I've made from my over-the-top Christmases past.  I do hope you will check back to see the reveals - I can't wait to show you all the pretty!

But today, I want to show you something you can easily do for yourself - my favorite creation this year - the rustic antler wreath.
rustic antler wreath via homeologymodernvintage.com
So, you guys know by now just how in love I am with the rustic front entryway I created this winter - the clipped evergreens in the Swedish bucket, the old crusty garden table picked up at a local antiques market, & the lights sparsely draped over the branches.  Love, love!  But especially, I love the wreath I created for the door.
rustic front entryway decor via homeologymodernvintage.com
It just sets the stage, don't you think?

Antlers are showing up all over, along with most taxidermy in general.  And have you seen the prices for the fake resin replicas at Restoration Hardware & Pottery Barn?  Whew!  But I must admit, I'm completely on board with the whole idea of them as decor.  I love the element of nature they bring to the indoors.

Last year I was making them in this painted version.
staghorns in winter white via homeologymodernvintage.com
They were such a hot commodity with my customers, it was really difficult to keep them stocked.  I've painted many a trophy, peeps...  many a trophy.

So for something different this year, I decided to use them in their natural state by simply embellishing them with greenery.
rustic antler wreath via homeologymodernvintage.comThe rustic woodland feel of the evergreen wreath puts these sweet antlers right at home.  The organic feel of the completed piece hits the mark dead on.

So simple to create, I started with a recycled 18" grapevine wreath {a $2 find at a local thrift store}.  To that, I added wired bundles of Canadian hemlock and eastern cedar.  Mine were harvested from the trees in our woods, but you can easily find them at your local farmer's market.  The wreath was then covered with the evergreen bundles in an loosely unstructured fashion.  Once the wreath was filled, I attached the deer mount {which I found at an antiques market for $35} with florist wire.  And that was it!  That was all it took to create this beauty.

This wreath has such an impact and was so easy to make, taking me all of an hour to create.   And, really, where are you going to find a one-of-a-kind wreath like this for $37?  Not in Restoration Hardware or Pottery Barn - theirs will set you back anywhere from $159 up to $239.

I hope you enjoyed this quick little project.  I was so excited to share this with you. The goal is to inspire you to create one of your own.  With its simple design & huge impact, it's a project anyone can easily tackle in a short amount of time.  The inspiration is free, so are the instructions.

Now go hit the woods to gather some goodness & create a holiday wreath of your own!

xo,

sarah

linking to the following:
Coastal Charm's "Nifty Thrifty Tuesday"
Cedar Hill Ranch
Funky Junk Interiors 

Share/Bookmark

14 comments :

  1. I do love the added antlers. Of course I have a thing for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Sarah

    I love your wreath. It turned out great. By the way, I found you on the hangout last night and just wanted to pop over your lovely blog. I enjoyed looking around and I am a new follower. Love for you to stop by www.homesweetbutterfly.com. Have a great weekend.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. welcome, vanessa! i'm so honored you visited & can't wait to visit you soon!

      Delete
  3. Sarah,

    I love your decor in front of your door. Love the branches and lights. I did this this year and my hubby wasn't sure, but looks great. Have a great day.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple and makes a statement. I love antlers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorites of all your lovely decor! Although, I do love that crusty table...oh, and the evergreens & berries you have in the bucket...and, oh,I just love it all!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, susan! i peeked into your christmas decor through fb. so lovely!

      Delete
  6. Just possibly the best wreath ever....need.....want....have to have!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in love with this!! Simple yet so pretty. Love your style!

    Following now!

    Iris
    http://nkmommy.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. iris, thank you so much - it's super easy! {can't wait to visit your blog!}

      Delete
  8. I love that wreath! I am going to try to make one! ... except my antlers are detached, but I am going to try anyway! Love it!

    xokelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. in hindsight, i think it wise to use detached antlers - a few friends were almost impaled by my protruding antlers as they entered our home. what's worse is that i love this look so much, i used them again this year despite the danger! i really should hang a warning tag on them ;)

      Delete

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover