08 November 2012

On Board with the 3/50 Project


The state of the economy has been anything but stellar for any of us over the last four years.  I think we can all agree on that fact without injecting any political spins on the subject.  And if you follow national headlines, economic recovery has become virtually stagnant.  Why?  Mainly because no one has yet to take any action - gridlock.

It has been an especially difficult time for me and thousands of others like me whose livelihoods rest within the world of small business retail.  And as I continue to see dilapidated downtown shopping districts where there were once thriving businesses, it gets very easy to become discouraged.

But I'm not one to give up so easily, and I'm not ready to be defeated.

Remember that word I used, action?  It has a lot of power; and that's what I'm doing to do to do my part.  I'm taking action to be a part of something bigger - a collaborative effort - one that will help each of us grow & prosper.  I'm not just talking about the prosperity of small businesses, I'm also talking about the prosperity of the communities where they reside and the families who reside within them.  Each & every one of us is affected by the decline of our local towns, and we each, by taking action, are the ones who can make the change to make it better.

So, just what kind of action am I taking?  I'm joining the 3/50 project.  The 3/50 project was  the brain child of Cinda Baxter back in 2009 and "The goal is simple: Ask consumers to frequent three local brick and mortar businesses they don’t want to see disappear and to spend a very affordable $50 per month doing it." 3/50 - get it?

This upcoming holiday season and throughout the year I encourage you to take part in the 3/50 project by supporting the one-of-a-kind shops, talented artists, and unique restaurants residing within your local downtown (or any small downtown district).  Take pride in your downtown for its unique style, its quaint ambiance, & its eclectic vibe.  Help those businesses that you want to see remain in business by being an active consumer in their shops.

If you want to read more about Cinda's 3/50 project, visit her blog Always Upward to read her original post, then visit the 3/50 website to see what a difference $50 a month will make to your community.  It's pretty big, & I'm pretty sure you'll be impressed at how far your dollars will go in perpetuating the unique vibe within your neighborhood.

Take action:  Pick 3, spend $50.  Save your local economy.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post in its entirety.  Please feel free to share!


Share/Bookmark

3 comments :

  1. affirmative action to help save our neighborhoods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a great idea and doable, too. I'm going to try to do that although I am scaling way back on the gifts this Christmas. Thanks for sharing this. Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Linda. We've been doing much smaller Christmas gift givings; but in return, I have made a real effort to give quality, meaningful gifts. So this idea of shopping locally ties in perfectly with the unique & one-of-a-kind!

      Delete

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover