02 October 2012

Mixin' Up Mid Century Modern

There are two very strong trends happening in design today - modern & rustic.  Each is distinctly different yet the two are able to combine in a sinuous harmony like no other.

With modern, think clean simple lines and an uncluttered aesthetic.
via
With rustic, think warm rich woods and earthy organic elements.
via

And when you put the two together, you have mid-century design at its best.  A real love for mid century happens for me when these two elements are combined into one lovely package.  Like here:
via
 Clean & simple yet warm and comfortable.

I always find it interesting to see designers continually return to the past for inspiration.  It's old design reborn in an updated version of its former self that makes the new design.  And for both the modern and rustic designs, you need not look any further than mid-century to see where the inspiration originates.  Think George Nakashima and his beautifully organic wood slab furniture then think Ray & Charles Eames and their simple utilitarian pieces.  Each was a great designer of the mid century era.
 
I love mid century so much that I've dedicated one of our booths solely to this design aesthetic
mid century via homeologymodernvintage.com
mid century via homeologymodernvintage.com
mid century via homeologymodernvintage.com
mid century via homeologymodernvintage.com
mid century via homeologymodernvintage.com
20th century antiques are a whole different game compared to the 18th & 19th century antiques we've been taught to appreciate.  But it's an aesthetic that has come into its own and has earned a place in the books.  I love all the centuries - from 17th century to 20th century - there are qualities to it all that I can admire and appreciate.

My home is always changing but has basic pieces that will stay with me no matter what design trend I'm hearting at the moment.  How about you?  What's your design aesthetic? 




Share/Bookmark

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover