22 October 2012

Get "The Look" Right Now {but what's the fun in that?}

You know "the look" that you see when you walk into a retail home store & each room is laid out for you, from the large case pieces all the way down to the smallest details?  It's all shiny and new and perfectly placed.  Instant home gratification, or as I call it, a room in a box.  And it can all be yours right here, right now.

Believe me, I'm all about instant gratification, but just not when it comes to designing my home.

For me, the thing that makes our home a home are the memories of when we bought this piece here and when we found that piece there.  Each one a little snippet of our life - memories in mementos.  It's what makes our home uniquely ours.
antique vignette of family photos via homeologymodernvintage.com

Did we obtain it overnight?  Absolutely not.  And there were a few years where we had to live with unfinished rooms.  But it was worth it.  If we had purchased everything at once, we'd have no stories to tell and the shelves would be lined with merely things, not memories.

You see, almost everything in our home has a special memory or meaning attached. 
victorian mourning art via homeologymodernvintage.com
homeologymodernvintage.com
Perhaps I'm a bit of a snob, but where's the fun in styling a room in an hour?  The thrill is over in the blink of an eye and then you're sitting in your brand new room asking yourself what's next.  I mean, going to a store and selecting Room A or Room B has no romance, no memories, no personal connection.  There is no history to glue the pieces together.  It's just stuff.
antique reversed painting on glass via homeologymodernvintage.com
Patience is truly a virtue when it comes to making each room its own special place.  And as difficult as it may be when you're staring at four blank walls while your voice echos as you try to converse, if you're patient and if you wait for the right piece for the right place, the end result will be rooms filled with warmth, comfort & a genuine feeling of home.

A home, like life, is better when it's created over time.

Share/Bookmark

4 comments :

  1. I so agree with you....a curated look is much more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. amen! throw some personality in there peeps! yeah, i still say that.

      Delete
  2. Yes! Exactly! Just recently,I was watching an episode of "Flipping Out" w Jeff Lewis - watching him choose accesories for a home re-design, and I thought - yes they look pretty, but they have NO meaning to the home owner - who would want a house full of things that mean nothing to you? Not me - I want the things that I love and have the stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. all the way!!! for me, it's the personal things that make a home. thanks for stopping by, cathy!

      Delete

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover