25 July 2012

Sweet Revival {Trio of Antique Pharmacy Cabinets}

I had been looking for some additional storage for my powder room when I came across this beautiful set of antique pharmacy cabinets. Found in a booth that was a clean out from an old pharmacy, it was filled with artifacts from the 40's. Amazing stuff I wish I could have carried home with me, but this trio of cabinets was what I was after.

Behind all that paint was some interesting character - it just needed to be brought out.


Revamping a vintage piece doesn't always mean a new coat of paint. For me, it often means removing paint.  Probably 80 percent of my reviving of furniture is stripping away rather than adding. Creating layers of interest by revealing the previous coats makes a piece come alive like nothing else.

The latest coat of green paint on this group has done nothing to highlight the curvy legs or unique Dutch doors. All the details just disappear into oblivion with the flat layer of paint.





Someone looking to purchase storage might pass these by without realizing their awesome potential to make a real statement. But by removing some of that paint, we can highlight the details and give these pieces real character.

Using some 100 grit sandpaper I simply distressed the existing paint. There isn't any real science on how to do it other than to take it down where it would naturally be worn. After that,  just keep working with the piece until it has a balanced & natural distress to it - stepping back often to look at the whole piece.



The final product.


Love the old hardware on these pieces.



Functional beauty gets me giddy everytime!



These are a new love of mine, long-necked mid century kitty cats. I prefer to call them kitschy cats {get it?}. I've been searching high & low for them but they're not easy to find. Oh, I could probably find them online, but that would be too easy & take away much of the fun of the find. And so much of the fun is in the "find."

Share/Bookmark

11 comments :

  1. i love those cabinets :) and the white cats are perfect on top of one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job and what a nice find.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I was so excited to find them. They actually belonged to the owner's grandfather who was a doctor, & she was using them in her barn. {I was so glad to rescue them!}

      Delete
  3. Steph @ Crafting in the RainMay 23, 2014 at 12:32 PM

    That color's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love! Love and jealous that is! Such a beautiful cabinet Sarah. My motto is, it's not what it is, but what it can be. I can see you believe that too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it. I agree, another coat of paint would have just crudded up the details even more, the way you brought them out was wonderful. I love the look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome pieces and you did an amazing job of bringing out their beauty....love it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! I really like that color. It fits perfectly in your house

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool piece! And I really like the mirror above it.

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover