29 May 2012

Repurposed {Decorative Mirrors}

A few months ago I purchased some great industrial tart pans at the Scott Antiques Market.


I loved the rich patina they had acquired. Knowing there was definite potential for repurposing, I purchased all he had. They sat around for a few months while my creative mojo was contemplating what I would do with them. Then I saw some little craft mirrors at Jo Ann's, and I immediately knew what I was going to do - decorative mirrors. 

But which glue to use was a bit of a problem.  The tart pans were seasoned from years of baking & the obvious choices weren't working.


Luckily, there is a wonderful Furniture Doc at Scott's who had the solution, a tube of Z-poxy. This epoxy really does the trick,  is low odor, and sets up in just minutes. It's amazing stuff!



Not wanting to drill a hole, I glued a metal plate hanger to the back instead.




In order to get good adhesion, both the plate hanger & the tart pan got a good scuffing with a sanding block.
 

Next, I mixed equal parts of the poxy.


And a thick layer was applied then left to set for the required time.


So pretty!


Here they are hanging all pretty in my booth.  I think they display beautifully. These are the last remaining three of the eighteen I purchased.



While you can't go to your local big box to find antique European tart pans, there are some great alternatives.

source

My first choice is this great fluted tart pan from Williams-Sonoma.  It's only $11! With its mirrored surface, all one needs to do here is attach a plate hanger. But, if you prefer the vintaged look of the originals, a coat of Rustoleum's Oil Rubbed Bronze would do the trick.

And since these don't have the seasoned surface to them, a quality glue designed for metal would work nicely - just be sure to sand first.

This tutorial is featured at the Wayfair Housewarming Party! If you enjoyed this post, stop by and take a look at the entire curated collection of upcycled finds by Making it in the Mountains.

Share/Bookmark

6 comments :

  1. whatta brilliant idea! these would look great in a bathroom somewhere :) or a foyer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever idea! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, helena! this is what i love to do! {you have a wonderful blog. Can't wait to return to spend a little more time there.}

      Delete
  3. That is such an awesome idea for the mirror! Love it! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I"m glad you liked my poppy pictures! They are so fun to photograph! -kg (from BYW2.0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah,
    What a fun little DIY project. The tart tins look beautiful hung as a group! Stopping by from BYW2...looking forward to "seeing" you in class during the month of June...my best, Blenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blenda, so nice to meet you, & thanks for visiting from BYW2 - can't wait to soak it all up!

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover