19 January 2012

Mini Revamp {Minimalizing the Secretary}

I'm a true minimalist at heart and find that a good purge does amazing things for my attitude.  I usually get the itch to tackle a cleanout once or twice a year; and when I do, I go at it with a vengeance.  Do I sometimes regret that I have tossed an item?  Perhaps.  But my philosophy is if it hasn't been used in the last six months, it isn't something that I will miss six months from now.  

Right now I have lots of little tchotchkes sitting around.  I noticed that over the past few years I have somehow accumulated more stuff than I would normally take on.  As I woke this morning, it became apparent to me that the secretary in our living room was in dire need of a downsizing.

staging a secretary via homeologymodernvintage.com

It's a bit cluttered, has little cohesion, the "smalls" need to be paired down, and more contrast is needed.

staging a secretary via homeologymodernvintage.com

As difficult as it is to see from the foyer, it's even busy from this distance.  (That's Fritz in the foreground.)

staging a secretary via homeologymodernvintage.com

All the small items were removed.  Balance & symmetry were added with the two plates on the top row, I added two items of similar height & weight on the second row and a little assymetry on the third row for added interest.  Lastly, the books were used to fill an otherwise empty space once the doors are closed.

staging a secretary via homeologymodernvintage.com
Ahhh, a sigh of relief as this vignette comes together.

staging a secretary via homeologymodernvintage.com
This makes me happy ;)


Share/Bookmark

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover