08 January 2012

The Great Cover Up - French Chair Reupholstered

I successfully made it through my first chair recover. Me, someone who doesn't sew. I made it through the strip down, & I made it through the reupholster. I was able to take on the task & carry it through to the end. 

This just goes to show that if I can do this project, anyone can.

 recovering a bergere via homeologymodernvintage.com

Okay, I'll admit it.  It's not completely done - I still have the trim to add.  But I was too excited to wait because finding the trim will be a few days from now.

Here is what the chair looked like when I brought it home (minus the cat).

recovering a bergere via homeologymodernvintage.com

The frame is just beautiful, but I think we can all agree that the fabric is dated. So I jumped in by removing the upholstery & a multitude of staples from the frame.
 
recovering a bergere via homeologymodernvintage.com

I kept the fabric intact as I removed it so that I could use it as a template for the new fabric.

recovering a bergere via homeologymodernvintage.com

This chair has an upholstered back to it, using two layers of fabric with cotton + poly sandwiched in between. I was a little hesitant about that at first, but it turned out to not be an issue.

recovering a bergere via homeologymodernvintage.com
 recovering a bergere via homeologymodernvintage.com

Once I had all the fabric removed, I cut out my new pattern using the old fabric as my stencil.

recovering a bergere via homeologymodernvintage.com

Then stapled it to the chair frame using a staple gun. I tried to follow the pattern of staples the previous upholsterer used, just to make sure I didn't under-staple.

recovering a bergere via homeologymodernvintage.com

Tucking fabric around corners wasn't difficult. I just focused on keeping it neat + tidy. The main thing to remember on this step is to keep your technique consistent on each corner. It would have look odd to have one fold going in one direction and the next fold in another.

The final task was to snip away any excess fabric so that all the edges will be disguised by the trim.

recovering a bergere via homeologymodernvintage.com

And here's the completed project - with the exception of the trim detail, which I'll simply glue on with a hot glue gun.

Not too shabby for a first timer, if I say so myself! Did you happen to notice that I used a drop cloth to cover my chair? I wanted to go with an inexpensive fabric this first time around so I wouldn't feel guilty if I made a mistake. But I absoultely love the look and feel of natural cotton fabrics, so my ultimate choice would have been very similar had I been purchasing from a fabric store. 

Drop cloths rock.



Share/Bookmark

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover