09 December 2011

Seasonal Styling on a Minimalist's Budget - Part II

The past few days have been busy, to say the least.  However, I am happy to say that I was able to find time to scour the property and gather a few bundles of greenery.  My goal is to spend as little as possible for my holiday styling.  So far I've been very successful!

Here's a peek at what I've been able to accomplish so far.  We'll start with a "before" of the front entrance:
homeologymodernvintage.com Our front entrance
homeologymodernvintage.com 
Lingering fall decor
winter display via homeologymodernvintage.com
 The remains of my rosemary wreath - now brown & crispy

I couldn't wait to clean up the front entrance, so I tackled it first.  It was old, tired, & ready to transition from fall to winter.  
winter display via homeologymodernvintage.com
 In my hike through our woods, I was able to collect cedar, long-leaf pine, & hemlock.  But, unfortunately, no berries.
winter display via homeologymodernvintage.com
 I salvaged my grapevine wreath by removing the old rosemary twigs.
winter display via homeologymodernvintage.com
 I bundled the cedar, hemlock, & pine with wire & secured the bundles into the wreath.
winter display via homeologymodernvintage.com
 I'm sure Martha would have attached the bundles to the wreath with wire.  However, in my years of using grapevine wreaths, they have always held the bundles quite well without the aid of wire - especially for short term projects.
winter display via homeologymodernvintage.com
The finished product.  (It smells so good as you enter through the door!)  Now on to the urns:
winter display via homeologymodernvintage.com
 Some floral styrofoam was very securely placed into baskets.  There was no science in placing the greenery - just a pleasing aesthetic of the cedar, hemlock, & pine.  I liked the Hemlock in the back since it was tall & erect.  Next was the pine, as it was a good filler.  Third was the cedar, as it spilled over the urns nicely.

winter display via homeologymodernvintage.com
winter display via homeologymodernvintage.com

winter display via homeologymodernvintage.com
So here's our front entrance - woot!  It's so much better that the before pic's.  However, you can see what I meant in my earlier post when I said it would need a pop of color.  The greenery is beautiful but monochromatic against the brick & green door.  I still need to add a third color.  I'll post a final picture once the third color is added, as I haven't decided just what it will be yet. 

As hectic as my schedule has been the last six months, I'm just elated to have gotten this far :)

I'm loving what nature has provided in this beautiful display.  It just proves that the best things in life really are free!  Next post, I'll show my woodland mantlescape.

Share/Bookmark

3 comments :

  1. I love the idea of using found supplies to create a fresh look! Well done! I can't wait to see the pop of color that you add!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, since I'm not quite sure where I'm going to go with it! My initial thought was to use red holly berries, but there were none to be found. Now I'm thinking fresh fruit (?). I am completely open to suggestions on this puppy - would love to see a collaborated project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! What about Nandina berries, easy to find and plentiful.

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover