26 July 2011

Treat Me Tuesday - Vintage Marquee Letters

Last weekend's "hunt day" wasn't turning out to be very productive. I hit quite a few yard sales & an estate sale, but wasn't finding anything of interest. After reaching the "time to pack up & go home" mode, I reluctantly stopped at one last yard sale along the way. It didn't look to have much promise, unless you were in the market for a used Mercedes. But then I spotted a large beaten up cardboard box folded shut & tucked under a table. I had a hunch there was potential in there, so I boldly asked the owner if the box was for sale & what was in it. 

As she uncovered the contents of the box I heard angels singing. Hey, it happens! It was packed full of old vintage marquee letters. I've been searching for letters for quite a while, so I was giddy to have found them & grateful that I stopped at the last minute. I gleefully paid the kind lady & went on my way. I have many projects where I can use these lovely little beauties. But they are pretty awesome simply used in their original form. A group of old mismatched vintage letters hanging on a wall is just plain cool when they make a random word or statement. And a single letter as an initial is also really fun when perched on a bookshelf or incorporated into a vignette.

These have been used & have a nice worn patina to them in their original condition. However, I couldn't help but paint & distress a few just to see how they would turn out. Annie Sloan's chalk paint works fabulously on these & gives them a nice chalky warm patina as if they have been sitting in the hot sun for years. I really like them both ways & think I'll offer the option of unpainted & painted. 

If you just have to have some before I put them out on the floor of the store, I am offering them up for sale here first as a perk for reading my blog. Send me a comment requesting the specific letters you are after, & we'll go from there. Just remember, I have a multitude of letters, but they are limited to what was in the box. That's the fun of vintage finds.

If you're looking for some good signage for you wall or a few for your next creative project, we've got your letter!

Share/Bookmark

1 comment :

  1. Wow, what a great find! Bet you left that sale smiling. Hope you enjoy them for awhile before passing them on.

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Please leave your thoughts and comments for me to ponder - I truly love reading each + every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover